This two line email yesterday from a friend of many years: My heart is wanting kind words and encouragement. I bet you have some for me. thanks
My response was this note and the items that follow: I just started writing… and in about 15 minutes I ended up with a baker’s dozen of 13 random things that came to mind along with one final thought. This helped me just by seeing my words reminds me of what I believe in. I hope in some way these words are able to reach you and touch that part inside that needs to be held, caressed and loved. Peace and much love.
1. You are enough. Always have been. Always will be.
2. Everything you need to be happy is within and you need only see it.
3. You are deeply loved and you love deeply. Ultimately what matters most is the love you feel for others and the love others feel for you.
4. You are admired and looked up to.
5. Good or bad, positive or negative, each thing you do impacts someone else.
6. Thoughts need attention to grow. If you don’t like the thought you are having, remember you are the one choosing it and making the thought flourish.
7. Gratitude is one of the key ingredients for a good life. When you can’t find gratitude for what “is”, flip the coin and find gratitude in things you’re glad “aren’t”.
8. The best life anyone ever had was a lot of happiness, with a great deal of heartache and tragedy mixed in.
9. When you can’t believe in yourself, find something to believe in beyond yourself. For example, believing the sun will rise just as it is coming up can be a profoundly renewing experience.
10. A walk in nature won’t cure anything, but communing with nature always makes all things easier to deal with.
11. As Plato said, remember all people are by nature equal, made all of the same earth by one Workman; and however we deceive ourselves, as dear unto God is the poor peasant as the mighty prince or princess.
12. Courage is not the absence of fear. It is being afraid and not wanting to go on, but doing it any way. When courage is lacking, all you need to do is take one more little step. And another. And then another.
13. The quality of life depends not on what view of the past we may have, nor on our perceptions of how the future go. How fully we are living each moment as it unfolds determines our quality of life, one moment at a time.
With even just a little effort it is possible to leave the world better for having been here, if only in small ways. It does not matter whether you plant ideas or plant flowers, plant compassion or plant a smile on a child’s face, plant change or plant a thought in perpetuity. In an immortal fashion we change the world without even meaning to simply by the example others see us to be. What are you showing the world today? (end of my email)
A few hours later I was touched when my friend sent a short but meaningful reply. She wrote “Thanks my friend. Feels good, feels true”. I am very glad she trusted me enough to ask for support when she needed it. I am thankful I was able to help her in some small way. There is comfort within to know she will likewise assist me anytime I need her to. We are true friends.
For the well from which the words to send my friend were drawn and the higher power that helped me shape them, I am deeply grateful.
What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. Aristotle